Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas ain't feelin like Christmas


I've had my share of not-so-great holidays, but this time it's different.

We celebrated Christmas here in Baguio, inviting Ninong Ben, his wife Tita Imelda and their son, my cousin, Ira; Ninang Cris, her husband Tito Pao and their new-born daughter, Robin; and my stepfather's HUGE family. For me, his family is huge. Compared to our small family, which can be likened to a group, their family is like an entire classroom. I can’t even name all of them. (Because there is a lot of ‘em, and partly because I can’t even remember all their names.)

My family was complete, and there was lots of food during Noche Buena, but I felt that something was missing. I didn't realize it at the time, but looking back now, I think I've figured it out.

It’s not the same because I spent it thinking about how many gifts I was going to get. I’m ashamed. The season is supposed to be about Jesus Christ, and here I was, thinking materialistic thoughts.

For kids, it’s not really a big deal because they don’t really understand the liturgical aspect of Christmas. The season is usually about gifts and toys, food and parties, etc. for them. On the other hand, I’m a teenager now. I go to a Catholic school. I’m part of the Liturgy and Vocation Club, I’m even an officer of the club.


Have you seen the picture showing Santa and Jesus having a chat?

"Kasi sa tuwing birthday ko, ikaw na lang lagi ang inaabangan ng lahat"

Although it’s just a joke, it does have meaning. We fail to see the importance of Christmas, placing Santa on the pedestal as the most awaited person during the season.

I’m not trying to guilt all of you out there who might have acted the same, this is just me thinking how awful I would feel if it were me being snubbed on the day that was supposed to be about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment