Saturday, October 9, 2010

I owe SLU a LOT.

SLU will be celebrating its centennial next year, and everyone's excited about it. Of course, because so far, it's the biggest milestone our school has ever achieved. It's not every day that something is commemorated for surviving a hundred years (unless there's an international centennial commission of some sort).

After studying in SLU for about more than 7 years now (since second grade), I can confirm that SLU truly is a good school. No, wait, scratch that. Saint Louis University is a GREAT school. I am proud to be a Louisian, I am proud to wear my uniform, and (although many people don't) I always have my ID with me. I really love SLU, and I will never forget my fond memories of this admirable institution.

We were tasked to write a blog post about our gift to SLU. I could think of a few things, like prayers, or help in their outreach programs, or a poster to display somewhere on campus (here I go again, wanna-be artist), maybe a video about how much we love SLU. I've been thinking.... A class project, maybe. A video montage showing us students asking random people what they think of SLU. We should do it sometime! :D

With the amount of time given for this assignment, it won't be possible to do some of the things listed above. Maybe, if I had the chance, I would try to accomplish something for SLU. But then I was thinking-- Wouldn't excelling in my studies count as my gift to SLU? If I do well in my studies, well enough to get recognition, wouldn't that put SLU's name out there? I owe my stellar grades to the countless teachers who've molded me into what I am today. Without the guidance of our amazing teachers, we would get nowhere. "Kung 'di ka mag-aral, may maaatupag ka ba?" This is what my relatives always remind me of. I know, I know. Without school, I will end up nowhere. And right now, I'm not exactly where I want to be, but I'm slowly getting there. That is why I owe SLU so much.

-------------------------------------------------

Coming from Christian school all of her short life, I would like to present an extremely short prayer/poem as my gift to SLU on it's centennial.


Saint Louis University is the Light of The North
Excellent students it brings forth
With the help and guidance of Father all powerful,
SLU has become a wonderful school

Almighty Father whose words are full of greatness
We thank you for our school's success
Thank You for the love during the hundred years,
We hope to bring the Louisian to new frontiers


------------------------------------------------------


Now, I know what you're thinking, "Yan lang? Bakit ang ikli?" Fear not, dear readers, I have a whole lifetime to show how much SLU has made an impact on my life, short as it is. As much as I loved being an elementary school student (you know, running around and stuff), I would have been a different person had I gone to another school. All the people who've met me know that I'm very "patriotic" to my school, and that I am very proud of it. SLU is my paradise, and I love my school. It doesn't matter whether I'm top of the class or even bottom of the heap, I'm simply happy that I can stay in such a great learning institution.



No comments:

Post a Comment