Friday, October 8, 2010

I love my LHS

Baguio celebrated its centennial on the 1st of September, and guess what? Saint Louis University will be celebrating its centennial in 2011. So, happy 100th, SLU.

SLU has come a long way, and the entire of next year, including this December, will be spent commemorating the impact SLU has had on Baguio City, Northern Luzon, and the rest of the country.

In 1907, CICM Missionaries arrived in the Philippines, and they saw that the Cordilleras has not been penetrated by the Spaniards spreading Christianity at the time.

SLU had humble beginnings. It was started in 1911 by Rev Fr Séraphin Devesse, CICM, as a one-room catechism school for less than a dozen local boys. Four years after Fr Devesse started the school, intermediate grades and a trade school were started, and six years after that, the high school division was inaugurated; this was Saint Louis School.

On May 13 1963, SLS was conferred University status by the Philippine Government, which later grew to be the Light of the North we all know and love. SLU is considered as one of the most excellent educational institutions in the Philippines, because of this, it has been called the center of education north of Metro Manila.

Saint Louis University is celebrating it's centennial next year, so let's party! :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SLU-LHS is my home, my paradise. I've been a "Louisian" ever since my family moved here in 2003 from Tarlac City, Tarlac and enrolled me in Saint Louis University - Laboratory Elementary School. I was a generally mediocre student, nothing special; but being a student in one of the most prestigious schools in the region made me feel special. Lousians are known to be competent, socially involved, creative, and Christian-spirited -- and that's right. We Louisians are competent; we come out on top in national and international competitions. We're socially involved; we have community outreach programs. We're creative; we show off our talents and color up our school. And we're Christian-spirited, we true Christians, we believe in God.

I love my school. I love the campus (even if we encounter dog/cat crap every once in a while in the hallways). I love the teachers (even if there are some teachers who are, well, not-so-lenient). I love all the events that transpire in my school (from the Intrams, to prom, to the Christmas Cantata). Everything about my school is great. Albeit we do no have the best of the best - we're not as high-tech as some schools in the country - we still produce dome of the brightest kids out there. Look, if you want your kid to be successful in life, send him to SLU-LHS. Seriously. I'm not bluffing or anything. I'm not over-selling SLU to you guys, but really, it is the best out there. (I'm starting to sound like some kind of salesman or something. Let's move on.)

They say high school is the best years of our lives, and I think they, whoever "they" are, are right. As Charles Dickens wrote, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times." I think this is a very fitting description/overview of what high school is like. It is indeed the best of times, where you make more friends, develop your talents, make it big, improve yourself, and let the raging hormones take over and all in love. It is also the worst of times, where we experience tons and tons of homework, are pressured to excel, experience pain and heartbreak, and so much more.

I’ve only been a high school student for less than three years now, and I can confidently say that these times are going to stay in my memories forever. I’ve made new friends (however hard a task that was for me), I’ve learned new things about myself, and I’ve fallen in love. Ha ha ha ha. I love being in high school, and being in Saint Louis University – Laboratory High School has made all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment