Sunday, September 19, 2010

Doing the Hormonal Boogey.

Last Saturday, September 18, 2010, The SLU Guidance Center had the 3rd year students attend a seminar on the Adolescent Life: Challenges and Solutions.

It was........ Interesting, to say the least.

You see, I've never been the type to be especially curious about sexuality and sexual relations. It’s not really something I talk about seriously. Sure, a dirty joke here and there is fine, funny even, but actually talking about it? The sober side of those jokes?.............. Uh, not for me. What's the big deal? I mean, the topic is sort of uncomfortable for me, even my parents haven't had the "birds-and-the-bees" talk with me yet. No one in my family really talks about these things, all I know is that the S word is taboo in front of the kids. The concept of sexuality has become rather clearer since the seminar, as it was explained well by the guest speakers, but I still can't wrap my head around the fact that one day, I myself will go through that. Typical kid answer: EW.

Okay, I do know that one day, I will have to go through that. It’s just that the face of the woman, having already endured 9 months of discomfort from being pregnant, then has to suffer through more than 6 hours just to give birth. I now have a deeper respect for all the women who’ve experienced giving birth. I applaud all women who have had a baby come out of their, uh, "sacred places".

I get hurt easily by the smallest needle prick, though I know I can sustain injuries without complaint. I shout even before the pain hits me. It’s a reflex of mine, so just thinking about me giving birth…… Ahh.... I don’t think so. Not that I'm planing on having a baby any time soon, of course not; I just want to be ready the time it happens.

Anyways, the seminar really was informative, albeit boring. The seminar mainly focused on what we should and shouldn’t do, the effects of having PMS (Premarital Sex), how one can say NO to their partner, and the like. I found myself practically bored to tears. But something the someone said caught my attention. No, it wasn't Fontanilla's explanation of sexuality - "when a man and a woman meet... In bed," It was one thing I heard from someone behind me, a girl from 3 Magalang, I think. She said, "Bakit pa ba kailangan pumunta dito? Sexuality? Diba parang sex lang rin yun? E, lagi naman eto pinag-uusapan nung mga guys, pati nga sa Religion e minemention eto." (Translation: Why do we have to go to the seminar? Sexuality? Isn't that just sex? The guys always talk about this, it's even mentioned in our Religion classes)

I was baffled, honestly. It made me furious. How could they, students of a respected Christian school, talk about sexuality like that? It is a part of our Christian living studies, and is a sacred thing. I admit, I didn't know about how deep the meaning of sexuality was, but I never thought of it so shallowly.

Pregnancy, STDs, and so much more. Why risk it? And worse, why would a teenager like me risk destroying his/her life for a few minutes of "fun"? I don't get it. With all the risks involved that were mentioned by the guest speakers, I'm still wondering why people do it.

We're Louisians, aren't we? Puppy love and raging hormones aside, please, PLEASE try to keep your pants on.

No comments:

Post a Comment