Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Discourse and the Environment

How language changes (I wouldn't say evolve, cause that would mean I refer to the past as a less evolved version) also depends on where one lives, right? Cause I'm pretty sure I didn't talk (type) like this until I moved to Manila. Okay, maybe a little. Okay, a lot. In my head, anyway.

See, I'm still friends on Facebook with some of my old high school friends from Baguio, and I noticed how, uh, how do I say this... How different (safe answer, man) their language is from mine. And I'm not talking about language as in English, Filipino, etc. Language as in how they choose to construct their sentences, their word choices, and their terms...

I don't want to be mean, but I don't know how else to describe it. There are times when my old friends are bordering on being "jeje". I'd gotten used to how people here in QC talk, and it's vastly different.

Somehow my old friends are still stuck in what feels so immature, so high school (which would honestly make sense, considering most of my high school friends went to the same university, and that some of them are still classmates). I don't see any Facebook posts about important things (probably because what they've defined as important is what their crushes happened to be wearing that day), about bigger things (the biggest thing I saw shared on FB was that Pangasinan thing, and it was a post condemning sinners -- really?) Apparently, posting just one selfie isn't enough -- not even two or three is enough -- you just had to make a collage, didn't you?

Maybe it's because I've been exposed to more than them? I mean, UPD /is/ a huge university, and I don't just talk to UPD students -- I also have friends from other universities, other countries even. I'm in Manila, where the action's at. I'm not trying to put myself higher than them, but I just happen to be in a place with a different level of discourse compared to them. (There goes that word again, "different". My safe word for tonight.) Maybe because I've taken a stand in a political party? Maybe it's the people I've surrounded myself with. Huh. The environment you're in really does shape who you are, huh? Interesting thought of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment