Saturday, November 13, 2010

And I still don't understand....

Those who know me personally know that I am quite a techie - I love my gadgets and I like being up-to-date on the latest stuff out there - and I try to learn about a lot of things computer-related. So far, I've learned how to use Adobe Photoshop, a little bit of Flash, Illustrator, and recently (thanks to Ms. Samantha Degay) I've tried dabbing in Paint Tool SAI. On the technical side, I've learned how to arrange a UTP cable, how to assemble a CPU (oh, my CAL ICT compeptiton memories, ha ha ha) and quite a bit more.

Recently, I've been told that I am a rose among the thorns in this field. I don't understand this. It it so rare to find a woman lugging around a toolbox? Or checking out a pair of wicked drives instead of cute accessories? To my disappointment, I saw mostly guys at a recent IT-related competition. In our team, there were three girls and one guy (Marianne Domalanta, Sam Degay, Jerricko Mabanta and I) and it kinda showed that girls are just as good, and sometimes even better, in these competitions. But as I looked around the hall where we were to stay, I saw mostly men. Of course, this was the norm, but I was hoping that there would be more girls there. It's a modern world, right? (Well, as modern as it can get here in the country.) Why are girls such a rarity in IT events?

I've done some looking into results of a few IT competitions in the country, and to no surprise, I saw mostly guy's names (unless masculine names are trending, which I really doubt). I was slightly disappointed, but somehow this gave me a bit of hope. Before, the field was dominated b guys, but now, at least there are more girls joining in. Hopefully "girl-power" will take over. Someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment